CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

A work gripe

Ok so I work with a lot of blue collar guys. They are welders or machine fabs, all down to earth, half of them have loans they owe to someone somewhere. And these people like to call because they are given the work phone number. Now we have a rule that no welders/machine ops get phone calls unless they are emergencies. And we do have some of those calls because lots of them have kids and sometimes things happen and that's fine.

But when the loan sharks call and I tell them that we don't allow phone calls or messages unless it's an emergency they get snarky. They ask for the manager, I tell them I'm the office manager. They ask for HR I tell them I'm HR. They say they want to speak to the manager of I tell them no because that manager will only repeat what I have already said and that is we don't take personal messages. One man demanded to speak to my supervisor I told him no. He said I HAD to. I replied "says who?" He told me that because we are incorporated I was required by law to let him speak to my sup or have the name of my sup. Neither of which I was going to do. My plant manager is laughing and telling me to hang up on the guy long before now. Finally I told him he wasn't going to talk to anyone but me and hung up on him. He hasn't called back.

Today I had someone call for David or Michelle. I asked for a last name in case it was someone who went by a nickname. She told me a name that didn't match any of my employees. I told her no one worked here by that name. She repeated slowly "D-A-V-I-D or M-I-C-H-E-L-L-E." I repeated just as slowly "No one-by-that-name-works-here." She asked what company it was, I repeated that (I answer the phone "good afternoon " she apparently doesn't know how to listen) and she said "oh goodbye" and hung up....Two minutes later she called again. When I answered the second time she told me she had the wrong number...well no shit sherlock.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I was told that it was illegal for collectors to call a work phone number-probably something to do with it potentially jeopardizing the person's job. I'm not sure about the second half, but it would make sense. I used to get those calls a lot and flat out said that by law they weren't allowed to call. The person usually didn't know any different so they hung up. *shrug* Whatever works. :)

Grinningcomb said...

yeah but it's kinda fun to argue with them and see how long they are willing to stay on the phone.